When I began reading Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, I had trouble
following the storyline. I believe this is because the play begins in an
eventful scene and it hard to envision not only the characters but the setting
immediately. As I kept reading through the scenes the play made more and more
sense to me as I was able to envision what was happening in the play. After
reading the play and talking to my husband about it he told me he found the
play in the movie form on Xfinity on demand. We ended up watching the movie
together. Although the movie was varied from the play it was captivating and
entertaining watching the actors play out each scene.
I really enjoyed reading this play and believe part of the
plays success through the years can be attributed to the diverse characters. When
you think of it almost everyone most likely knows a bossy Big Daddy, submissive
Big Mama, self destructive Brick or loud, outspoken Mae. Although the storyline was based on the lies,
deception and lack of communication of its characters it was intriguing. The
dynamics between Brick and Maggie were classic - the rich boy marries the poor
girl and she does everything in her power to hold on to her new-found status. I
believe Maggie must have been envious of Brick and Skippers friendship as she
did not possess the emotional bond with Brick as Skipper did. Honestly, I don’t
believe that Brick was gay….or at least did not see himself as gay. I believe
that he may have had a boy’s boy mentality and clung to his best friend while
keeping his wife at a distance. Skippers untimely passing may not have been
Maggie’s intention but caused her to the little bond that she had with Brick as
he blamed himself for Skippers death. Either way the disconnect between Brick
and Maggie goes way deeper than Brick disconnecting because he blames himself
for Skippers death. It makes me wonder
what other mishaps/miscommunications may have occurred during their time
together? Was Brick every really committed to Maggie or was she just a
distraction from football from time to time?
The most disturbing part of the play for me was the
deception practiced by the entire family with Big Daddy’s illness. Having
multiple family members with Cancer, some living and some have passed. Makes me
wonder how / why the entire family collectively went along with the lie about Big
Daddy’s health. Death is scary. Loosing someone to an illness never seems fair.
Lying to someone about their health is wrong and unacceptable. Working in
healthcare, on the oncology unit, I have seen death’s ugly face more than I
would like to admit. Watching families greave is horrifically painful, so much
so that I have become emotionally numb to it. I still feel sad and do what I
can to help the families but I no longer allow death to touch my soul. I have
seen patients dying from cancer that lie to their family about their diagnosis
to “Protect” them. Truth be told, honesty is seriously the best policy. Both
the patient and the family need as much time as possible to prepare to close
that chapter in their life. This is the time where people get to lean on,
connect or reconnect with God. I feel like the family stole something from Big
Daddy in lying to him, they stole his trust and confidence. Although Big Daddy
is able to understand why, it was an unfair blow to a dying man.
All in all the play Cat on a Hot Tin Roof sparked deep
thought and reflection. Like the movie relationships with your spouse, family
members parents, and in-laws are not always easy but are necessary. It is
important to keep those relationships as honest and pure as possible because
you never know then life can snowball into something ugly.
First of all I must say I'm sorry for any hardships and losses you and your family have endured. Disease is a difficult and random thing.
ReplyDeleteI like your theory about Brick/Skipper/Maggie dynamic. It's hard to know what's the truth when everyone lies (I think that may be the point of the play, however). I suppose I assumed either both or perhaps just Skipper was gay, given that Williams himself was also gay, but perhaps that's just a semi-coincidence (we write what we know, after all) I don't really know what to believe regarding this piece, everyone is lying to everyone (except MAYBE Brick, but maybe not). I think when people are compulsive liars, it's more comforting to lie than it is to tell the truth.
Hey Emily,
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your ability to connect the story with your life. The deep thought and reflection that was sparked by the play is evident. When I read, "I feel like the family stole something from Big Daddy in lying to him, they stole his trust and confidence", I could not help but feel a rush of emotion. There is so much truth to what you said; especially because I remember how Big Daddy was talking to Brick about having 15 years left. It would be a shame to be offered false hope only to realize that my family had been lying to me about my health.
Great reflection!