A Doll House by Henrik Ibsen was one of the most intriguing
plays we have read in this class. I found it interesting that 100 years after
the play was written it was still relatable and relevant to society. Of course,
I can see how at the time it was written it was considered extremely controversial
and was surprised to learn by reading the foreword that the ending was initially
changed since the thought of a woman leaving her husband and children was
frowned upon, then changed to the original ending since the audiences were not
satisfied with that ending.
While reading the play I felt like Nora’s situation is
something that women have always faced as I know of women who were in situations
such as Nora’s, the only difference being that they stayed put after the glass
ceiling fell out due to financial security. In the play, Nora did seem self-indulgent
and a bit frivolous. However, she did what she had to do to keep her family
together by borrowing money, saving her husband’s life and saving face by not
telling her husband about borrowing money. I believe that her intentions were
pure and done out of desperation because she truly loved her husband. After her
husband’s life was saved she seems to have returned to daily life and embraced
it. The play had scenes where she seemed to have her daily routines and her
children were happy to see her. Nora was engaged and seemed to be a happy mom,
playing on the floor and playing hide and seek under the table. Nora and her
husband Torvald had their daily routines that she seemed to have embraced as a
part of a happy daily life.
It is funny that I was shocked to read that Mrs. Linde, Kristine, would just drop by Nora’s house unannounced to chat but then I remembered when
the play was written and realized that sort of behavior was the norm at the time.
I also found it disagreeable how Dr. Rank basically professed his love for Nora
as it seemed that knew Nora was a bit naïve and trusted him as a close friend. The
whole scene made me wonder that his intentions were. Did he actually expect her
profess her love back or leave her husband, his best friend, for him? Was his
business card with his name crossed out an indication that he was going to kill
himself after he professed his love and nothing came of it?
Throughout the play I could understand why Nora might be
nervous about not wanting her husband to find out about her secret loan to save
his life but I never imagined that he would have reacted in the manner in which
he did. I cannot wrap my head around why would instantaneously disowned her
then forbade her from raising their children if what he had for her was true
love. Then, within minutes being given a note saying nothing would come of the
situation, figured all was well and apologized to Nora. It seemed that Torvald
was more concerned with his image and judgment of others more than he loved his
wife. At this point Nora was probably mentally exhausted and not feeling like
herself. However, in order for her to walk out on her kids I believe that she
may have suffered from some type of mental instability. Could both Torvald and
Nora have mental instability or suffer from depression to react in such drastic
ways? Was societal pressure that great? Perhaps her leaving in the time that
the play was written meant that she was also leaving her kids as women were
considered secondary citizens and not able to support themselves or a family
properly. Either way her actions at the end were unacceptable.
I can imagine that when the play first came out it may have
encouraged the talk or action of unhappy women walking out on their families to
pursue their own dreams. I wonder what Nora did after the play ended? The play
stated that she was going to stay with Kristine but did she try to reconnect
with Dr. Rank if he was still alive? Did she ever see her kids or return to her husband and family? How did society react to her leaving? How, if at all, did it effect
Torvald’s new job? All in all, the play was a good read.
Hi Emily, I appreciate how you mention Nora being mentally exhausted - it may be connected to the reason she decided to walk out on her marriage and children. Although I understand her reasoning that she was tired of acting like the perfect wife and mother, I do not agree that she should have left her family in the manner that she did. Unfortunately, things like this still happen in today's society and are still frowned upon. I don't think a marriage, as sacred as it is in God's eyes, should be so easily discarded. It goes in the face of commitment and sacrifice. Thank you so much for sharing your view!
ReplyDeleteHi Mari,
ReplyDeleteI agree, Nora was tired of the putting on a show. We can see this when Kristine stopped buy for a visit and even though they have not seen each other for years, she knew Nora's deepest darkest secret before the visit was over. However, regardless of your mental state you should never walk out on your children. In the event that you would leave your husband I would hope it would be for something greater than one major argument such as violence or infidelity. She clearly did not take her marriage as being sacred. I believe that she found more comfort in being taken care of.