When
I initially started reading the play I was initially taken back as the wording
was reminiscent of medieval times. So much so that I had to read the play a
couple times to understand it. However, after my second read I found that the
play Everyman has a profound universal message that everyone can relate to.
Although we know that judgment day is imminent we tend to live as we please
until Death arrives. I find it interesting that once everyman realizes his fate
he looks to find a companion for his journey yet all abandoned him along the
way (Pg. 235 Lines 463-471).
I
really liked the way the author utilized the names of each character by naming
them exactly what they are. Characters named Good, Beauty, Knowledge,
Discretion and Five Wits leave little room in the imagination for the type of
character they are. I appreciate the frankness of the characters names as the
play ultimately describes how knowledge, beauty, strength, beauty, Kindred and
Goods cannot be taken with you to the grave. Only Good Deeds could accompany
Everyman to the grave saying “Fear not; I will speak for thee” (Pg. 240 Line
876).
The
way the play was written makes me question the authors motive for writing the
play. Was the author was a young soul who was faced with their own mortality or
an old soul who after living a full life of self-interest realized that the
love and support of those around you can disappear when you need it most?
Working
in a hospital I can relate to this play on many levels. Currently, I work on
the oncology/geriatrics unit. Far too often when someone is dying ill they tend
to change their outlook on life and follow the path that Everyman did. People
will do what they can to find comfort in those around them, often times making
a mend with scorned family and friends. However, toward the end of being faced
with your own mortality many change the way they behave and believe, almost
always turning to God for solace.
Hi, Emily. It also took my a couple times to understand it. At first, I did a audiobook and tried to follow. Then had to read it by myself, and I began to slowly comprehend it. The play has a good meaning behind it. In my opinion, the characters embody what we all have in us. Whether it is good or bad.
ReplyDeleteAimee,
DeleteAh ha! Audio book! Maybe I should try that next time - at least for the first reading. Agreed, the play does have good meaning and embodies what we have in us. I think that is why it is so relateable.
Hey Emily,
ReplyDeleteI found the play to be a challenging read as well, but as you said, it has a profound message that everyone can relate to; at least to some extent. I think it is human to think that you can live how you want; thinking that you can simply make up for it later as you are young and still have time to change. However, as people near that, “final resting place”, and grow in maturity, their priorities tend to change naturally. This is evident as most people on their death bed do not say, “I wish I worked more”, or “I wish I spent less time with my family”. I think this goes to show that people know who they should be, or at the very least, who they want to be. Sometimes we need a little inspiration or urgency to take a step and move forward to become that person.
Thanks for your post Emily!
Hi Trevor,
ReplyDeleteIt is amazing how people live their lives as tomorrow is guaranteed. My experiences in healthcare have been a wake up call. Although, I still have a ways to go I try to live each day as if it were my last. I know its grim but I always say if I die tomorrow I would be glad I did..... I agree 100% with your statement "people know who they should be, or at the very least, who they want to be." Life is incredibly fragile, we are literally one decision away from our lives potentially being changed forever. I wish more people lived like they were dying. (Yes, I know it's a Tim McGraw song LOL. Right now it just fits!)